I suspect you could use bitmap data to achieve something along these
lines - if each piece has a special pixel - you can use that pixel to
check against a master bitmap to see if it's in the right place,
combined with snapping it should make it quite easy. - if you know it's
in the right place and one of it's neighbours has also been placed then
you can make this a 'combined piece'.

Something along those lines anyhow.