Is this a scoping issue? Are you sure that mcClip is defined and
pointing at the right thing inside your function()?

Try

import mx.utils.Delegate;

function onLoadedClip(clip:MovieClip)
{
   clip.stop(); // or clip.gotoAndStop(1);
}

var mcl:MovieClipLoader=new MovieClipLoader();
mcl.onLoadInit=Delegate.create(this,onLoadedClip);
mcl.load(url,myClip);

... from memory, that ought to work (as long as myClip is the clip
you're loading into)

(Delegate makes the calling of anonymous functions much clearer - see
http://www.osflash.org/flashcoders/as2#handling_scope_in_event_handlers
for more details on that one.
)

HTH,