You're defining the onRelease function before outside_btn.swf is loaded.

Wrap your onRelease definition in an onLoadComplete function to solve your
problem:

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flashlite/2/main/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=LiveDocs_Parts&file=00000708.html

Christopher Whiteford wrote:

I am having a problem with figuring out why I am having scoping issues with
a rollover button. I am trying to load a swf file "outside_btn.swf" in that
has a movie with an instance name of smBtn on the main timeline. now I have
done traces from the button that indeed returns "_level.smFindBtn1_mc.smBtn"
but yet I still cant get teh onRelease to execute.

var smFindBtn1_mc:MovieClip = this.createEmptyMovieClip("smFindBtn1_mc",
this.getNextHighestDepth());
var smFindBtn1:MovieClipLoader = new MovieClipLoader();
smFindBtn1.loadClip("outside_btn.swf", smFindBtn1_mc);
smFindBtn1_mc.smBtn.onRelease = function(){
   getURL("www.yahoo.com")
};

Does anyone have any ideas?