Maybe the external swf Clip B did not load in time to read that variable (in the brower). Try making Clip B wait 1 frame worth of time after it is loaded then read the variable.

-Keith H-

----- Original Message ----- From: "Merrill, Jason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 6:43 PM
Subject: [Flashcoders] _global is _global or what?

I know it's a personal thing, but I usually try and avoid using _global
variables (in fact, I use them so little, this is probably why I have
this question), but I found a case where I needed to use them - at least
temporarily for testing purposes.  Without going in to why I'm using one
(please don't ask, just humor me :) ), I found a weird behavior I cannot
explain.

Say clip A is the main _level0 clip where the _global.myVar is defined.
Clip B is an external .swf references the _global myVar.

When I test my Movie (crtl+Enter) for the main _level0 clipA it loads
clip B in fine and reads the _global variable in fine as well as
expected.  However, when I test the main _level0 clip A in the browser,
clip B does NOT read the _global variable as it did in the Flash IDE
test mode - it's showing as undefined  - why? I thought _global was
_global in the 'ol grande document level stack? No?

This is true from clip B if I try accessing it via either myVar or
_global.myVar.

Thanks for any insights,

Jason Merrill   |   E-Learning Solutions   |  icfconsulting.com

NOTICE:
This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged or confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of this e-mail by you is prohibited.