Brad,

I've got a lot of experience with both the Flash 8 encoder, as with the
SSqueeze (with the on2 plugin), and have not seen it push an entire
system into reset state.

Have you tried any other CPU intensive application lately ? A crash that
severe using 2 different applications would imply corrupt RAM memory, or
a CPU overheating. Try SiSoft sandra's burn-in test, and if that crashes
you laptop too, you know what the issue is.

Ralph.