Problem solved, thanks to you!

Alert.show() does return an instance (part 1 of the puzzle), which can then be forced to the top via the DepthManager (part 2 of the puzzle), a class I didn't know existed.

Thanks again JesterXL.

On Apr 3, 2006, at 6:05 PM, JesterXL wrote:

It may be too late, but typically Alert's are created on _root. This is
also how ComboBox's and other popups in the PopUpManager are created.

If you put 1 movieclip on _root, and put you're entire app in it, you should have no problems. If you creating your own custom movieclips on _root, don't. If you still have to, investigate using PopUpManager instead and
using some of DepthManager's constants.

Alert.show does return an instance, so if you're brave, you can force it up.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Downs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com>
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 8:49 PM
Subject: [Flashcoders] Alert window layering issue

I'm having a problem creating an Alert window instance which renders
in a layer depth above all other stage elements.

The Alert window consistently renders behind some other
programatically instantiated movieClip elements. When creating the
Alert, I've tried setting the parent parameter (using Alert.show())
to an element which is a subclass of the UIComponent class which is
attached to a movieClip on a layer way on top of all other layers in
the movie, but the problem persists. The Alert window is centered
within this element fine, but it appears beneath it and other elements.

Perhaps at the root of my problem is a misunderstanding of the parent
parameter of the Alert.show() method. The documentation refers to
this as the "parent window" which "must be a subclass of the
UIComponent class" or "the _root timeline." Is the Alert window depth
truly inherited from the parent?

Is there some method in the UIObject class to change the object
instance depth?

I'm using Flash 8, ActionScript 2.0.

Here's what my Alert instantiation looks like :

// test using simple button instance as parent
Alert.show("Start?", "Alert", Alert.YES | Alert.NO,
_root.alertParent_mc.my_button, _global.myController.myAlertClick);
// same depth layering as:
Alert.show("Start?", "Alert", Alert.YES | Alert.NO, undefined,
_global.myController.myAlertClick);