Ok, I'll try to put it simple.

I have researched about the eps, I opened it, changed it, and I see where are the paremeters I need with a few problems(like identify each shape to apply different color), but if you want, forget the eps input.

The point is:
1 - I Have a swf with a drawing inside and 2,3,4 colors divided in movieclips by color. 2 - I need to open this swf with my app, let the user change the color of each mc (at this point, everything is fine)
3 - give the user an eps with the result.

end of workflow.

simple uh? :P

GaB.

Ron Wheeler wrote:
I am having trouble figuring out the flow.

What does the Flash application actually do? If the drawings already exist on the server and have to end up on the server,... What does Flash do with the EPS file? Why EPS at all? How do the EPS files get created.
What do you want to do with the resulting files?

Have you edited an eps file with a text editor to see how they are constructed? They can include vectors and raster images. Depending on the program used to create the EPS, it can be full of crap and unused macros which make them hard to pick apart if that is what you want to do. You can certainly create eps files by tracking the user inputs and writing the PostScript to a file. It is a bit like SVG without the XML. You can create your own macros to make the process easier - which is where all of the crap comes from in an EPS file created by MS-Word (to pick on one vendor unfairly). Make a "Hello World" document and save it. It will be a lot longer than 11 characters but you will find "Hello World" in there somewhere. In the early days of DOS, I wrote a little short PostScript file that created fractal images if you sent it to a Postscript Printer and let it run all night. Looking back I must not have had a life then, I guess - the kids were small and we were to tired to go out.

Ron

Gabriel wrote:
Ok, sounds good, but I don't see clearly how to convert my already drawn eps/whatever into commands so can rewrite a svg an then save it.

I can make instructions for writing the svg, but I have the drawings pre made.

GaB

Ron Wheeler wrote:
You can send an XML file of drawing instructions to the server and use XSLT to do anything that you want.
a) You can convert it to SVG or EPS.
b) You can convert it to your own vector format
c) You can hold onto it as an XML and redraw it in your Flash program later
d) You can convert it to a raster image
e) You can do all of the above and more.

SVG is the most flexible format since it is both an XML file that can be transformed using XSLT and a recognized vector drawing format that can be edited using drawing programs. It is also relatively easy to construct by tracking the user activity on the Flash side(move, draw, draw, draw,move, draw...)

Check the Batik site and open an SVG file in a text editor to see what is inside.

Ron

Gabriel wrote:
What I need is to import the drawing, that's why I choose eps (but the only real need is that it must be vectorial), Not really to export the image created by the user, but recreate it on the server side, based on a few parameters.
I can live without the drawing part.

PDF would be a possibility, but can I export from swf 2 pdf??

about FOP, It could be useful but how I load the eps/whatever icon and apply some changes (color, scale or so)?

thanks
GaB

Ron Wheeler wrote:
Have you looked at SVG as an alternative? You may be able generate this on the client without the server.

What about PDF.

Have a look at Apache's FOP as a server tool for converting input to various output formats.

Let me know what you think of these. There may be more ways to skin this cat. How are the drawings made? If you are capturing the user's interactions, SVG might be pretty easy since it sort of mimics the steps that the user does (start here, draw to here, draw to this point, draw to next point, etc. finish here; move to here, draw to here, etc.) so you may be able to create the SVG by just transforming what you are already doing on the screen. The Batik package or Adobe SVG lets you work with SVG drawings. What do you want to do with the output- what is magical about EPS for you?

Ron

Gabriel wrote:
I generate the content of the swf on the client app, let's say a free drawing, then I want to "print it" to the *server printer* (?).

The point is...I need an eps from a generated content with origin in the client machine. You was talking about "many free printer drivers", can you point me to some of them?

thanks

GaB.

David Rorex wrote:
How are the swf's generated in the first place? Instead of doing
something->swf->eps
you can do:
something->swf
something->eps