A SWC is only a zipped up component.  Once you put it in your movie, it
becomes a compiled clip, or component.  From my tests, you CAN extend a
component, as long as the component you are extending is in your library.
Additionally, it looks like any assets inside the component can also be
used. I didn't try extending a class that the component itself extended (for
example extending UIComponent, instead of Button)

The example I used was a simple component I created a while ago which I knew
the classes would not be available for (eg: not the V2 components, which has
class files in the classes folder) -- I created an empty movieclip, and
attached a class which extended the component's class.  I added a trace in
the constructor (and called super()), and added some timeline code calling
methods in the super class.  It worked fine.

If you would like an example I can send it to you.  Just email me off list.