Hi Johannes -

Thank you so much for your suggestions - I really do appreciate the help.

I've removed MovieClip extension from the class, but it's still not working - it's still the same as where I started - the "Ball" object renders, but events don't trigger the handler.

I've streamlined things slightly - eliminated whitespace mostly, Please - I'm so lost here, this seems so simple.

This is where the code is at:

timeline.as

import Ball.as;

/* create object */
var myBall:Ball = new Ball();
myBall.declareEventMethods();

/* add listener */
myBall.addEventListener("press", myEventHandler);

/* define handler */
function myEventHandler(evt:Object):Void { trace('evt.type: ' + evt.type + ' | evt.target' + evt.target); }

Ball.as

import mx.utils.Delegate;
class Ball {

  public var addEventListener:Function;
  public var removeEventListener:Function;
  private var dispatchEvent:Function;

  public function Ball () {

        // initialize EventDispatcher
        mx.events.EventDispatcher.initialize(this);

        // create a ball MC
var aBall:MovieClip = _level0.createEmptyMovieClip( 'testBall', _level0.getNextHighestDepth() );

        // draw ball
        aBall._x = 100;
        aBall._y = 100;
        aBall.lineStyle(20, 0xff0000, 100);
        aBall.lineTo(0,.2);
        declareEventMethods();
  }

public function declareEventMethods():Void { onPress = Delegate.create(this,onPress); }4

private function onPress () { dispatchEvent( {type: "press", target: this} ); }

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
917-750-6398
AIM: dcardena