On Apr 17, 2006, at 4:05 PM, John Dowdell wrote:

Does this become "How does Apple recommend showing a QuickTime video in the standalone QuickTime Player (if available), rather than a new browser window?"? or...?

Not quite. It's pretty straight forward to do that. Apple has a set of javascript QT object functions that will write an XHTML or HTML tag to your page with the proper information in the embed and object params.

One of the properties is "target," which when set to "Quicktime Video Player" will automatically launch the Quicktime application to play the URL provided in the embed tag.

The problem is two-fold here, and neither of which I can figure out:

1. Use a getURL call to call a javascript function without loading up a new page. For some reason, no matter what I do, getURL will always change the browser page (ie, it changes to a blank page removing the content you were looking at). I have no idea why it does this.

2. Call the javascript function to actually write the XHTML/HTML object immediately after the flash embed, so that this will work properly.

With the javascript function call on a button in an HTML/XHTML page, this is no problem - as the script for the button is replaced with the embed tag. Not so with Flash.

Delivering the video as Flash is not really an option, because it's no where near as good a the H.264 encoded QT video that I want to provide. I just wish there were an easier solution.

cheers,

jon

Jon Bradley
Animation / Interactive / Visual FX