You can opt not to use everything Arp has to offer ;-)

Lee

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Stacey Mulcahy
Sent: 18 April 2006 14:00
To: 'Flashcoders mailing list'
Subject: RE: [Flashcoders] Using ARP without Forms?

Just chiming in here late...

Straight up I haven't used ARPX - even tho I've been recommended to do so
many times. I'm interested in checking it out and seeing what it has to
offer. I'd be interested in knowing the benefits, differences from ARP - if
someone has used it extensively, please feel free to png me off list as to
why you like it, use it, etc.

As for me and the type of applications I develop, I find ARP *way* too
structured. There are some things about it I think are great -for one the
commands and service locator. Even tho I typically organize my stuff in this
way, I now have a very structured "table of contents" idea for all of my
service calls. I tend to dictate the service urls and names in xml and
populate the service locator that way.

What I find a bit too structured about ARP is the fact that, unless I'm
mistaken which is quite possible, if you don't modify it, it assumes that
you are always going to want the response from a command. So you issue a
command, and because the command is tied to the view, it calls the callback
on the view item when it is complete. You can't just remove the view from
handling the callback, as its *wired* in so to speak.

So you run into this scenario - lets say you have an alphabetical list and
you're clicking through the letters because you want to see all your
contacts by A or B - so forth. Clicking each letter populates the list
underneath it with the results from the database. So you're like me, a mad
clicker, and you hit A , and change your mind and hit H cos maybe you listed
the person under the first name rather than the last name. Then you change
your mind and you click S. Each of those commands get issued and are tied
into that view  - so your list, starts updating with the results of each
command. But once you click a second item, you might not want the results
from the first command anymore, you'd like to ignore it. For me, to achieve
this, I had to return the command when I issued it so I could delete it if I
issued it again. And if you don't have the luxury of using remoting in every
project, then sometimes those command can take a while to complete - sending
the variables, parsing the xml on the return etc. Once again, I might be
showing my ignorance in regards to ARP, my only defense is that I have just
recently explored the framework.

Any insight as always is appreciated - if its not something that would
benefit the entire list, shoot me an email.