LocalConnection is asynchronous. I don't know how mProjector got synchronous
code in flash 7, it had to be some very clever hack. However, synchronous
calls are supported natively in flash 8 (via ExternalInterface, which
communicates with the host using a documented XML format I believe).

SharedObject writes to a file, but I don't know if the format is documented
anywhere. I'm pretty sure LocalConnection does something in memory, and
doesn't go through files. But I don't know all the details on how these are
implemented internally.

-David R