I'm with you.  Adobe has the same challenge(s) that Java had.  I remember
reading about one company who built Java games for phones... they had 52
builds for one game.  52 FRIKIN' BUILDS of the SAME FRIKIN' GAME!  F'ing
insanity.  I'd go nuts without some sort of pre-processor.

Part of that fragmentation makes it really hard to make a consistent selling
point, and device manufacturers make it harder on not just Adobe Flash
Player engineers, but us.  Like, the Nokia 6680 plays things better than the
6681 for example... ugh.  Same code, some Flash Lite 2 player, different
fps... wtf!?  It's c:\documents\others on some phones, but not on others.
Some devices support some phone centric settings, like sound and vibration
while others do not.  It's hard.

Not to mention the fact that hardware manufactures, and the US operators
make things worse.  They spit in the face of standards as far as I can tell,
thus most devices do not have some semblance of normacly.  The best Adobe
can do is get Flash Lite onto phones at least, let alone 1.1 or 2.  They've
scored Verizon, and that's great, but Sony is a huge company and has nothing
to do with Verizon.  God knows how many man hours, sales pitches, and huge
bling investments it took to get both companies to work with them to get
Flash on their devices.

For you and me it's simple; put the latest greatest on the device, now.  The
details, however, are vastly more complex... hence the fragmentation of
versions.

As far as Flash 8 being cosmetic; it was when it first was released they
told you correctly.  I actually incorrectly blogged that it was a true
emulation when it fact it was just visual (with some trace outputs of
non-supported features).  Now that it's out you can configure some of those
actual device-like settings.