I've seen sharedfonts.com and checked it out. I've also checked out some archived pages on shared fonts, how they load, etc. and a few other thoughts.

What's the difference between the SFM component and the methods described in the archives to share fonts with a library and a movie clip so that dynamic and static fields will work (and TextFormat).

It seems that the SFM component, which costs money, is literally just a tad of code to load up the fonts into an array in the global space, and it uses what seems to be the same process as described in the Flashcoders archives.

Does anyone know what the benefits are of just following the examples used in the archives, or using the sharedfonts.com code?

Has anyone come up with a snippet of AS that will take a loaded shared font(s), parse out the name(s) and push it into a global array so that it's accessible by name throughout your loaded file?

It seems to me that this is all the sharedfonts extension does, so I'm trying to figure out what the benefit of it is over the known processes. I'm not at all knocking the work Ivan did, just trying to get all the info to do what I need to do.

I need to ensure that the method I'm using will work with getTextExtent method, because I need to get the metrics from the font in a field that has a text format applied.

Does anyone have any other examples or info? It seems all I can find is from back in late 2003 or early 2004, old information, apparently still applicable to Flash 8.

cheers,

jon