On May 7, 2006, at 7:05 AM, Sander wrote:

Hi there,

I'm trying to do some 3Dish distortions on bitmapData instances, using loops to copy colons or rows of pixels. It's fast enough for real-time.

But the result is an aliased picture. I thought I could use the Convolution filter to influence each pixel by its neighbors, basically anti-aliasing. Does anyons have experience with this? Would a slight blur be faster to compute?

A blur is usually a 3x3 convolution matrix. So, no, it's not 'faster' than a convolution because it is implemented as a convolution anyway (and if it isn't, a 3x3 convolution should be identical in speed).

You could feasibly try a 3x3 triangle or a 4x4 mitchell filter instead (you can find the convolution matrix for these online pretty easily).

Remember, bitmap distortions only respect 256 levels. You could also perform a scaling matrix into a temporary bitmap, then copy those results with a reverse scale into the final display matrix with smoothing turned on. That may work well enough to smooth out any artifacts you're seeing.

good luck,

jon