I guess you're right about the getBytesLoaded method.
Another test we should do is just deleting the Sound object like Ash said in is reply.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc Hoffman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2006 12:50 AM
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Stop loading

Well, Sound.getBytesLoaded()  wouldn't show if a
sound was continuing to load into cache after
starting to load a new (or even missing) sound
file into the same sound object. It would just show loading for the new sound.

But I just ran a test which shows that loading a
new sound into a sound object does, in fact,
curtail an earlier loading of a different sound into the same object:

http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/stopSoundLoad/index.html

In this test, press the first button to start
streaming a 5.7 MB MP3 (just a long pink noise)
via a Sound object. Then immediately press the
second button, which attempts to load a
non-existent MP3 into the same Sound object. Wait
a minute and check your browser cache and you'll
see the first sound ("longSound.mp3") never
loaded. If you then click the first button again
but DON'T click the second button, and wait a
minute or so (depending on connection speed),
you'll see that "longSound.mp3" DOES show in the browser cache.

Marc Hoffman