-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tom Lee
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 11:53 AM
To: 'Flashcoders mailing list'
Subject: RE: [Flashcoders] .NET and XML Web services

Jim,

If you use the LoadVars.onData handler rather than the onLoad handler, you
get the raw response before it is parsed and you can invoke your own parser.

I should note that the reason I ended up doing this is because I'm dealing
with huge chunks of data (greater than 1MB) and the WebService class was
simply not fast enough.  The WebService class uses a SoapCall object to load
the data, which in turn uses an XML object.  The XML object had a memory
leak in Player 7 (would consume 40MB of RAM for a 1MB web service response),
and would also hang the player for about 10 seconds while it parsed all that
data.

So, under normal circumstances, the WebService class would be just fine.  I
don't mean to recommend that anyone use the LoadVars object for web services
unless they are targeting Player 7 and have no other alternative.

-tom