For web-based invoicing, you may want to check out Blinksale. I've been using it for a few months now and have no complaints. You can custom design the emails it sends out, it will include a PayPal link if you accept it and lets you send out thank-you's once you've been paid. Clean and fast, but doesn't do anything *but* invoicing. If you send out over 3 a month though, there's a monthly fee.

http://www.blinksale.com/

Jacob