Some really interesting and valuable stuff here. Adam, that link is really
useful - I like using formulas to make me feel confident about my
guestimates

One thing about clients who balk at your (perfectly reasonable) rates, plead
poverty and squeeze you for everything - in my experience it is often these
clients who undervalue the work your'e doing for them and the degree of
skill and experience required to do a good job. They're often also the same
people who insist on telling you how to do your job. Be wary! The best
clients I've worked with are those that really value the skills and talent
you have to offer and are therefore willing to pay for it.

I also agree wholeheartedly with Adam's approach of making his *services*
indispensible. I always aim to make working with me a pleasurable and
refreshing experience for my client and you can't overestimate the power of
a good, trustful working relationship to bring a client back again and
again. I'm always very open about the efforts I take to make my code
maintainable and extendible and almost always get a really positive
response, often followed by "hmm...we have this other project you might be
able to help us with...".

Cheers
Adrian P.

On 6/2/06, Claus Wahlers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Rather, I meant making *my services* indispensible -- i.e. doing such a
> strong job that the client can't imagine doing the next project without
me.

I'm sorry Adam, i misinterpreted that. We're on the same page then :)
cheers,
Claus.