My question is two-fold:  Is it possible to determine if the stage is
resizing larger?  smaller?  only height?  only width?

If you don't want to use onEnterFrame, just do the same process by checking
the Stage.width and Stage.height with a setInterval and compare the current
values with the last.

I had a question about this.  There is a solution in the archives
(
http://chattyfig.figleaf.com/mailman/htdig/flashcoders/2002-December/056558.html
)
where someone used onEnterFrame.  That solution was back in 2002.  Is
there a better alternative now?

My question is two-fold:  Is it possible to determine if the stage is
resizing larger?  smaller?  only height?  only width?

Ah, my mind is boggled!

Cheers,

fM