Additionally, you can replicate this by setting the _xscale in
Actionscript.  So setting to 100% before applying the _width would resolve
it as well.

On 6/8/06, Lanny McNie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You don't necessarily need to create it with Actionscript, just remove the
transform on it in the IDE.  Text fields that are scaled in the IDE
(stretched) will measure their width adjusted with their scale.

So if you have a 100px wide text field (not stretched), and stretch it to
200px in the IDE (with the transform tool or numerically), the _width of the
field is 100px*2.  If you then set the _width with AS to 200px, the result
will be 400px (200px*2).

It seems to me that this is an odd way for flash to handle text field
scaling, but if you understand whats happening, its easy to circumvent.  As
a developer who frequently receives scaled assets from designers,
CTRL-SHIFT-Z (remove transform) is my best friend :)

On 6/8/06, Phil Glatz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 04:14 AM 6/8/2006, João wrote:
> >I think is something related to the name of your
> >textField, if it was created in the designing or programming mode
> >I got this sample from the ActionScript manual, tested it and it works
> fine
> >   this.createTextField ("my_txt",
> > this.getNextHighestDepth (), 10, 40, 160, 120);
>
> Yes; I created it in design mode, rather than
> from actionscript.  Your suggestion works
> perfectly, so I will use actionscript to create the field.
>
> Why wouldn't it work either way?  I have a
> feeling these is something I must do in actionscript before changing the
> width.
>
> thanks for your suggetsion, Phil

Lanny McNie