Thanks Jason.  I figured it out.  I was getting tripped up by the fact
that how I was doing it was only returning functions, not properties.

In my fixed puzzle class:

        private function defineQuestions():Void {
                // create the  question and answer data object...
                var QA = new questions();
                theQuestions = QA.getQuestions();
        }

In the questions class, getQuestions returns the built object.

But, I like your way better.  :-)  And, I'll put them in a package,
thanks.

- MM

Given the way you wote the questions class, then:

//file: puzzle.as

import questions;

class Puzzle {
        private var QA:questions;