AS3 will do this when it's available.  It's in the new ECMA specs.

Besides Xpath, you can also download other third party classes other people
have created which will convert your XML object to an Actionscript object you
can traverse with dot syntax:

JimsName = myXMLdoc.people[2].name

Personally, right now I like Xpath.

Jason Merrill