Thank you so much for all your help, I got it working - ignoring the
ready event, which doesn't seems to trigger before the full buffer
time, I just use bytes loaded to tell it when to start:

stop();
skipintro._visible = false;
introflv._visible = false;

var listenerObject:Object = new Object();
listenerObject.complete = function(eventObject:Object):Void {
        gotoAndPlay('main');
};

listenerObject.progress = function(eventObject:Object):Void {
        //getURL("javascript:alert('progress')");
        var percent = introflv.bytesLoaded/introflv.bytesTotal;
        trace(percent);
        preloader.progressbar._xscale = percent * 100;
        if(percent >=1){
                introflv._visible = true;
                preloader._visible = false;
                skipintro._visible = true;
                introflv.play();
        }
};
introflv.addEventListener("complete", listenerObject);
introflv.addEventListener("progress", listenerObject);

introflv.load("DRIVERSPLASHLg.flv");