Well, thanks everyone for the advice.  I ended up solving the issue, and
below is my final code.  Sorry if I confused anyone.

- MM

        private function updateStandings():Void {
                var tempStandings:Array = new Array();
                // first, create list of scores and sort descending...
                var tempScores:Array = new Array();
                for (var s = 1; s < 9; s++) {
                        tempScores.push(Number(_root["t" +
s].pieces.text.substring(0, (_root["t" + s].pieces.text.lastIndexOf("
")))));
                }
                tempScores.sort(2);
                // next, match scores to tables by going through
tempScores and finding a table with that value
                // then picking it out of tempTables...
                var tempTables:Array = new Array(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,
8);
                for (var h = 0; h < tempScores.length; h++) {
                        for (var t = 0; t < tempTables.length; t++) {
                                if (track["table" +
tempTables[t]]["score"] == tempScores[h]) {

tempStandings.push(tempTables[t]);
                                        tempTables.splice(t, 1);
                // now, sort the scorePanels vertically...
                for (var k = 0; k < tempStandings.length; k++) {
                        var theTable:MovieClip = _root["t" +
tempStandings[k]];
                        var newY:Number = track.standings.positions[k];
                        theTable._y = newY;