i had this problem a while ago. the text would be rendred exactly the
same on all platforms buth the numbers returned from textExtend varied
depending on os, browser, i don't know what else. with a tendency to
cut off lines/letters on mac.
i came up with the following: took a largish block of text of length
(L), set the field width to the one i needed and counted how many rows
it would take in a static field (R). now C = L/R is an approximation
of how many letters fits in a row. you can measure H the height of a
single row in pixels on a static field too.
then to display your string textString you need field of
height=(Math.ceil(textString/C)+1)*H
i add one because it's approximate and i prefer to have some extra
space than cut off text. it works quite weel for strings tha occupy
more than 5 rows.
you can easily adapt is to measuring width of a single row of text too.
cheers,
michal

I've noticed a post about this in the archives, but it was described
as a
Mac issue and I'm getting it on a PC. I'm trying to use
TextFormat.getTextExtent() to do some image calculations, but I'm
getting enormous values. I suspect it's because my text includes
newline characters, but that's just a guess.

The docs say the function is deprecated, but the liveDocs
emphatically deny this. Anyone got any suggestions?