The constructor for TextFormat() would have to be called before your class was
ready to be instantiated. Class properties can only be initialized with
primitives outside of a constructor -- and the wierdness inherent in assigning
arrays in a property definition means that just about all initalization of
properties should occur either in a constructor or within an initialization
function.

> From: "Mendelsohn, Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2006/06/27 Tue AM 11:04:27 CDT
> Subject: [Flashcoders] init TextFormat prop in a class
>
> Hi list...
>
> Why is it that when I try to init a prop for my class, I get this error:
> "A class's instance variables may only be initialized to compile-time
> constant expressions."
> What exactly does that mean?
>
> Thanks,
> - Michael M.
>
> class test{
>       private var tf:TextFormat = new TextFormat();
>       function test(){
>               trace("hello");
>       }
> }