Wondering if someone here could provide or point me in the direction of
details on the inner workings of jpeg compression for png images in the
swf format? I am particularly interested in how the alpha channel in the
PNG is translated and stored.

When you import a PNG image with an alpha channel and select it to use JPEG compression when exporting, the RGB data is saved as a JPEG, but the alpha channel is still stored as a lossless, lzw data. That means that if your image's transparency is too complex, it will still be too big, no matter what the JPEG quality you select.

The only workaround possible is simplifying the transparency - basically, it's the same kind of workaround you'd apply to a grayscale GIF image... using less levels of colors, avoiding dithering, etc.

- Zeh