Alan,

Thanks - that gives me a different approach to try out that sounds very promising.

Julian

On Jul 7, 2006, at 8:59 PDT, Alan MacDougall wrote:

Julian Bleecker wrote:

That's great Ian — thanks for the help! Each of those little idioms makes sense when described — I never would've figured these out just whacking at various permutations, particularly the very baroque incantation leveraging the invisible symbol names.

You may find it more convenient to consider MovieClip items as primitives -- or at least not worth your time to extend -- and create classes which wrap them. If you just want MovieClips to do particular things, or exhibit polymorphic behavior, you can probably get away with this:

class Foo
{
   private var myClip:MovieClip;

   public function Foo()
   {
      // create the MovieClip, possibly by
      // creating a new instance from the library
   }

   public function doThing()
   {
      myClip.doSomething();
      myClip.doSomethingElse();
      var tween:Tween = new Tween(some properties, myClip);
      trace("And so on");

I find this approach easier to work with and, since you could have more than one MovieClip in your custom object, more flexible. (Sure, Flash also lets you nest MovieClips ad infinitum, but moving away from parent.child.child.child is another benefit of going Java style.)