> hiya -
>
> i want to have a movieClip "symbol" in my library of items,
> and then create an instance of this on the stage. is there a
> function to do this?

Have an instance in your library and export it for actionscript.
Let's say the name you give for the export is "symbol"
The you could use:
attachMovie("symbol","myNewSymbolInstance",getNextHighestDepth());

> seems odd the programmer has to do this work... simply:
>
> clip = mc.createEmptyMovieClip();
>
> would seem to be adequate... ?

No it isn't because when you would assign another var to clip the movieClip
will still be on stage but with no reference.
What you could do is:

var n:Number = mc.getNextHighestDepth();
var clip:MovieClip = mc.createEmptyMovieClip("movieClip"+n,n);

Now all clips will have a unique name, because the depth number is attached.

Bernard