Here is my problem, when loading the the .swfs into the main movie,
the first one naturally, is ok.  But when I try loading another .swf
to  replace the current on, the old .swf is gone but its interval is
still alive and kicking.
What, what?!
What is happening?

setIntervals continue to be running even when their original movieclip is deleted, unloaded, or otherwise removed. It exists on some kind of global scope.

Always clearInterval your intervals. It's the only way to make them stop.

- Zeh