Seems like you are applying the filter many times. That would be my
guess. Using the filters array makes sure that you apply it only once.

Best, Yotam.

On 09/07/06, Dan Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thank you for the reply.

I tested it using your suggestion, and it seems to behave properly if
I use MovieClip.filters instead of using applyFilter.  However, since
I want the end result to be a bitmap (for animation purposes), I
wrote a little workaround code... as follows:

// draw bitmap 1
var glowFilterMC = parentMC.createEmptyMovieClip("glowfilter_mc",
parentMC.getNextHighestDepth());
var glowBmp = new BitmapData(targetMC._width, targetMC._height, true,
0x000000);
glowFilterMC.attachBitmap(glowBmp, 1, "auto", true);
glowBmp.draw(targetMC);
// apply glow filter with knockout
var filter = new GlowFilter(0xFFFFFF, 1, 5, 5, 5, 1, false, true);
glowFilterMC.filters = [filter];
// draw bitmap 2
var outlineMC = parentMC.createEmptyMovieClip("outline_mc",
parentMC.getNextHighestDepth());
var outlineBmp = new BitmapData(glowFilterMC._width,
glowFilterMC._height, true, 0x000000);
outlineMC.attachBitmap(outlineBmp, 1, "auto", true);
outlineBmp.draw(glowFilterMC);
// dispose of bitmap 1 and its holder
glowBmp.dispose();
glowFilterMC.removeMovieClip();

Quite a few more lines of code than the original method, but hey..
it works.

-Danro

On Jul 8, 2006, at 10:21 PM, John Grden wrote:

> Have you tried just applying the filter to the movieclip that the
> bitmapdata
> object is attached to rather than using applyFilter?
>
> On 7/8/06, Dan Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday, I posted this topic regarding the inversion of a bitmap
>> alpha channel, but the root of the problem is that I am trying to
>> find a workaround for the GlowFilter knockout effect.
>>
>> For some reason, when I programatically apply a GlowFilter to a
>> BitmapData object, and pass inner = false, with knockout = true, I
>> get this bizarre zebra effect....  I've provided code and a link to a
>> side by side comparison screenshot.
>>
>> Here is an example of the code I am using:
>>
>> var filter = new GlowFilter(0xFFFFFF, 1, 5, 5, 5, 1, false, true);
>> myBitmap.applyFilter(myBitmap, myBitmap.rectangle, new Point(0, 0),
>> filter);
>>
>> Following is a screen shot of the issue.  The left side is the result
>> when simply using the GlowFilter without passing inner or knockout,
>> and the right side is the strange zebra effect I get when I use the
>> above code.
>>
>> http://download.danro.net/flashcoders/glowfilter_bug.jpg
>>
>> Has anyone else dealt with this?
>>
>> -Danro
>>

>> On Jul 7, 2006, at 3:29 PM, Dan Rogers wrote:
>>
>> > Hi gang,
>> >
>> > I am trying to invert the alpha channel of a BitmapData object and
>> > destructively apply it to another bitmap using copyPixels.  Has
>> > anyone inverted an alpha channel on a bitmap?  I assume use
>> > applyFilter with ColorMatrixFilter, but I am not very swift in
>> > figuring out the correct color matrix settings to use.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > -Danro
>> >
>> > Brought to you by Fig Leaf Software
>> > Premier Authorized Adobe Consulting and Training
>> > http://www.figleaf.com
>> > http://training.figleaf.com

>> Brought to you by Fig Leaf Software
>> Premier Authorized Adobe Consulting and Training
>> http://www.figleaf.com
>> http://training.figleaf.com

Yotam Laufer | Flash Developer | mobile +44 (0) 79 205 17 212 | skype: ubermutt