When using XRay for debugging, I usually make use of a debug-boolean, like so:

var debug:Boolean = true;

function something() {
   if (debug) _global.tt("Error");
}

Sure, it costs an extra statement to be examined, even when debug is
set to false, but the usability weighs higher then that little bit of
extra performence.