Ricardo Sánchez wrote:
So our second option is open the link in the same window but giving the user
the chance to hit the back button of the browser (once in the html) and go
back to the specific situation where he was on the flash. Is this possible?

It could be, but a lot depends on the presentation, and how you determine where "here" is. For a slideshow you can just do local Shared Object Storage of the last slide viewed, and jump to the last viewpoint whenever starting, for instance. For an application you may need to represent a stack of prior user actions.

Kevin Lynch had an example awhile ago which also deals with state-representation in SWF... he put the state into the URL itself, as query terms, but the same issue of "How do you know where 'here' is?" remains.

(Most window-blocking extensions for browsers permit new windows in response to user clicks in the HTML part, but many have blocked all window requests from plugins, because of abuses from spammers. I don't know of a current listing of which window-blockers, and their audience sizes, will block a getURL with _blank from SWF.)

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd