Doug Brashear wrote:
I'm trying to make a business case for one of my clients, and in order to do
so need to know when (the specific IE, Opera and Firefox version numbers)
the Flash plug came pre-installed with the browser.

This page doesn't have browser versions, but it does have the years in which each browser and operating system included Macromedia Flash Player in their default distributions:
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/partners/

But this wouldn't tell you how much of your audience did that quick little update to the current Adobe Flash Player -- it would just tell you what they started with when they got their browser, not what they actually have. For that I'd defer to the NPD consumer audits that Paul mentioned:
http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetration.html

Not every page's audience will match such overall consumer norms, but knowing how such wide samples have behaved is the closest thing we've got to predictions for specific audiences today.

Our Flash need is pretty basic (images and text that fade in and out, no
interactivity), and I'd also appreciate any recommendations you have in
terms of which version of the Flash player to design for (in terms of
features supported) in order to achieve maximum compatibility, but with the
ability to take advantage of the most essential features.

Well, alpha blending was added in Macromedia Flash Player 3, I think it was, but very few people have that installed today... most have moved up to Flash Player 8, and almost everyone has Flash Player 7 or better by now.

A lot might depend on the project's particular audience, too... if much of your audience uses MySpace, for instance, then they'll all have Adobe Flash Player 9 pretty soon... or if it's a school or intranet without installation privileges then you'll need to contact the IT staff to see what they permit... the specific audience you're targeting is a big influence on what clientside capability to require.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd