I finally found the solution... thanks to google and forums:
flash is not 100% soap compatible !!!
the 1.1 SOAP standard turns the exceptions in 500 header error, wich causes a lost of the connection in flash, instead of reading the faultString.
here's the link to Adobe's technote

     PendingCall.onFault cannot capture SOAP:FAULT responses:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=3c6784bc

++
PiR

PR Durand a écrit :
Hi List
Has anyone any way to receive the exceptions thrown by a webservice server please?

as it's asynchronous, the classical try...catch can't work on the service method call. but, as soon as the server throws an exception (the sent SOAP is a correct fault soap file if I call it from a browser), I only receive an event in my Log listener, saying "unable to connect to endpoint"...

How do you actually do to receive and interpret the server faults?

++
PiR