Robin Burrer wrote:
[various statements/questions about Flash mobile adoption]

North American is behind the curve, agreed... you'll hear similar statements over the last few years of exec interviews.

Why? Partly because the early build-out of landlines in North America slowed the momentum for mobile communication -- there weren't coverage gaps as in other areas of the world, and so less necessity for mobile development. Another reason is that North America was an early adopter of widespread computer use, and so didn't have the necessity for data development either. "There's no failure like success, and no success like failure."

Why's it baked into the phones? Because mobiles differ more than computers, and consumer installation would not be practical.

Where are the operators? In North America Verizon has already announced planned deployment, and the BREW announcements are now in public beta.

For going back to old formats, that's true -- we've had to refactor downwards for the less capable devices. This discrepancy will diminish over time, although there's also pressure for desktop-only stuff like hardware-assisted rendering, but the goal is to reduce the differences among device types.

> Why can't they provide a "flash projector" provider for mobile phones?

More and more, people are realizing that they don't want to install native code from strangers onto their devices. The Adobe Flash Player provides a sandbox in which safe instructions can run. Trusting strangers often works out well, but....

> Don't get me wrong I'm really impressed with the performance of Flash
> Lite 2.0 player and its capabilities. Maybe that's why frustrated...

I agree with you... it's hard waiting for the future to come. At least we've passed through the Grand Inquisition and the days before indoor plumbing by now, those were hard times, but there's still a long way to go.... ;-)

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd