John,

Thanks - yes, that class works, thanks for the link.  But unfortunately,
it appears it is the Textfield.replaceSel() function which encodes it
upon display - so I would have to then parse through the textfield and
find the encoded string, then decode it using that class, and put it
back in the textfield - what a hassle! Is there another method to insert
HTML tags into a textField besides replaceSel() which won't encode it?

At this point, especially since I need to be able to allow the user to
remove the tag as well, I think I'm just better off keeping the image
separate from the HTML in a movieClip.  Would seem to be much easier and
less bug-prone.

Thanks for  the link though, I'm sure I can use than class in the
future.  I added it to my package library.

Jason Merrill
Bank of America
Learning & Organization Effectiveness - Technology Solutions