The following code worked for me perfectly:
********

onClipEvent (load) {
        speed = 5;
        radius = 100;
        xcenter = 250;
        ycenter = 200;
        ellipticalOrbitX = 2;
        ellipticalOrbitY = 1;
        angle =120;
        _root.lineStyle (2);
}
onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
        _x = Math.cos (angle * Math.PI / 180) * radius *
ellipticalOrbitX + xcenter;
        _y = Math.sin (angle * Math.PI / 180) * radius *
ellipticalOrbitY + ycenter;
        _root.lineTo (_x, _y);
        angle += speed;
        if (angle > 359)
        {
                angle -= 360;

********

u can write the same code on the 1st[onClipEvent (load)] and 2nd frames
[onClipEvent (enterFrame)] and write

****
gotoandplay(2)
****

on 3rd frame...

if u 10 objects then all u hav to do is

****
angle=0;
angleShift=360/10;
****

and in each object,
****
angle=angle+angleShift;
****

this will keep the objects at a perfect distance in the orbit...

hope it'll be helpful 4 u...

best regards
RaviKiran Marella