I often develop projects in which the assets are changeable via properties in an external XML file. Usually my clients are savvy enough to open up a text editor and work with these files, but occasionally they're not and would rather have a more user-friendly CMS. In most of those cases though, such a system is outside of the budget.

So I'm wondering if anyone has made or used a simple XML editor which either lives on a web server and displays/edits an XML file on that server in some sort of GUI-way, or perhaps some desktop app which does the same on a local file. I know there are products like XMLSpy available, but I'm thinking of something really simple and stupid-proof.

(If such a thing doesn't exist, maybe I'll get around to making it. Perhaps something like Apple's Property List Editor and some AS classes to load/parse those files and deserialize it into native/ custom types.)

-josh