Here are some things I've been wondering about Actionscript 3.0s compiler and runtime engines:

I'm assuming AS 3.0 compiles to a bytecode. What kind of bytecode does it compile to? Is it more like Java/.NET CLR, or more like Mozilla's Spidermonkey compiler?

Does the compiled code get recompiled during runtime to machine code (like a JIT compiler) or does it get interpreted?

Also, how does the compiler deal with typing? Statically typed, compiled languages usually have the type set in stone at compile time whereas dynamically typed, interpreted languages like javascript and php can do type coercion at runtime on the fly. Which one does the Actionscript 3.0 runtime do? Does it do both depending on whether the type is static or dynamic?

Thanks, and please correct anything that I may have written if it is not accurate. :-)

Kevin N.