OK I've narrowed it down to when IE is set to "never check" or
"automatic" for page update checking in the settings - I can't believe
there's so little information out there on such a serious bug. I had to
completely scrap using the MovieClip Loader, fortunately there's a few
AS2 conversions of qlod which slotted neatly in.

I wonder if flash 9 will have similar problems with its Loader events?