I'm sure a lot of excellent Flash developpers in this
mailing list didn't have previous coding experience
before they started Flash (like myself) and managed to
become the ActionScript 2.0 OO pros aroud here.

I'm not one of the pros here. I'm just another noob, lurking in his list to read some advanced coding practices ;-)

Like you, I just started learning OO AS but I have previous coding experience in C++ and Java so I don't have much difficulties.
Lately, I've been reading this book :
"Object Oriented Actionscript for Flash 8" Peter Elst, Friends of Ed

and I can tell you, from my noob-ish point of view, that book is easy to read and the codes presented there are easy to follow.

Another book that's helped me much in my journey :
"Object Oriented Thought Process", Matt Weisfeld, SAMS

(I'm gonna buy Head First OO Analysis and Design in November)

I agree with Jason that some things need real experience to master (including raising kids, I have 4.5 year experience in that matter ... lol ) and OOP is one of them

--
Anggie Bratadinata
Web|Graphic|Flash
Jl. Raya Langsep 21
Malang - East Java
I N D O N E S I A
http://design.ibshastautama.com

David Bellerive wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm having real difficulty understanding how to
properly architect and structure Flash applications
using ActionScript 2.0.

I've read Colin Moock's excellent "Essential
ActionScript 2.0" and several other books and articles
on the topic and while I can safely say that I do
understand the syntax, I can't seem to write an entire
application using OO design mainly because I can't
figure out what should be in a class, which class
should do what, which class should extend MovieClip,
which class should use composition instead, which
class should start the application, etc.

I'm sure a lot of excellent Flash developpers in this
mailing list didn't have previous coding experience
before they started Flash (like myself) and managed to
become the ActionScript 2.0 OO pros aroud here.

Any help / tips ?