FWIW, I thought this book did a good job of of getting me past the
jargon. Much more accessible to me than the Moock Essential AS2 has
been. The Moock book is really good, but, I find it tough read. I'm
not really a programmer though, it's just another hat I have to wear
sometimes...

http://www.friendsofed.com/book.html?isbn=1590596196