for the record problem turned out to be missing www in URL.

Most likely a very common problem discovered by 1000s on this list. URL must have www on mac, on PC it seems to work with either http://yourdomain.com or http://www.yourdomain.com

for anyone else who is confused, flash embedded in HTML page ultimately has URL requests (ie though loadVars or XML object) constructed by browser, so an actively set cookie from a PHP session is 'automagically' passed unless browser is set to disallow cookies, no need to specially adapt PHP code.

James