Hey all!

I'm using a class (AnimationProxy) based on the Singleton pattern to form a
bridge between a timeline based intro animation (sigh) and the application
objects (it's not strictly an intro because, when the intro is complete, the
animation continues in the background whilst the rest of the site is
rendered over the top). The animation is a standalone .swf loaded into the
main .swf at runtime. It (the animation) has the AnimationProxy imported,
registers a reference to itself with AnimationProxy and sends various events
to AnimationProxy. The main application objects register as event listeners
of AnimationProxy and respond to the events triggered by the animation.
Well, that's how it's supposed to work!

Thing is (and you may have seen the flaw already), I now discover that a
unique instance of AnimationProxy is created by each of the intro and main
.swfs! I'm fairly confident my implementation of Singleton is fine since
it's the same implementation I've used several times.

Two questions then...

It kind of makes sense to me that each .swf maintains it's own object space
(for want of a better term) and therefore it is expected that they would
each end up with unique instances of AnimationProxy. Can someone give me a
fuller explanation of why each .swf gets a unique instance?

Can anyone suggest a better solution?

I've included the code that constitutes the Singleton implemention below.

Thanks
Adrian

class com.shell.util.IntroAnimProxy {
   // Singleton instance
   private static var _instance:IntroAnimProxy;

   public function IntroAnimProxy () {}

   public static function getInstance():IntroAnimProxy {
       if ( IntroAnimProxy._instance == undefined ) {
           IntroAnimProxy._instance = new IntroAnimProxy();
       }
       return IntroAnimProxy._instance;