aaah ok, so polymorphism isnt multiple inheritance, well ok, got
it wrong all this time, lol.

thanks for the enlightenment :)

On 8/25/06, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

in polymorphism using the previous example you could have a cat object
with
a 'make noise' method that prints 'meow' and a dog object that has a make
noise method that prints 'woof woof' - yes this is the same example as in
wikipedia!

what makes it polymorphism is that you use the same handler name, your
code
driving the object says 'make noise' and depending on which animal object
you have, you get a different response. This is polymorphism, it isn't
Multiple Inheritance

an example of multiple inheritence would be Spock from star trek

Spock is a human

and

Spock is a vulcan

in C++ you can have multiple inheritence and so you can satisfy both
conditions. but it causes billions of confusing problems, not least of
which being the diamond problem

http://www.javaworld.com/jw-12-1998/jw-12-techniques.html

indeed you are correct because Java's interface type is designed to
overcome the problem of multiple inheritence. so with java and AS2 you can
have Spock be a vulcan when you need so cold hard rationalism, and have
Spock be a human when you need him to give you a hug.

James

At 14:14 25/08/2006, you wrote:
> [...]
>since the definition of that is, in my opinion, a class having more
>than one parent class (ie, can extend 2 or more classes), which
>isn't the case. So I don't understand why people who are explaining
>oop in actionscript talk about polymorphism, because it just
>isn't there :), but perhaps I'm wrong.
>
>cheers,
>-Meinte
>
>On 8/25/06, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>they are different, as far as I know!!!!
>>
>>an interface, as in 'Interface' type does not itself have an
>>implementation, whereas a subclass which displays polymorphism does, the
>>difference comes from your design needs, for example:
>>
>>(polymorphism)
>>class animal - can be a implemented class with it's own methods
>>class dog - is a subclass of animal which alters/extends animal
>>class cat - is a subclass of animal which alters/extands animal in a
>>different way to dog
>>
>>so in certain circumstances you may only need to instance and call
methods
>>in 'animal', when you don't care what it is but just need an animal
type.

>>with Interfaces the 'interface' type is not a implemented object, it
does
>>not have it's own implemented methods
>>
>>so an example might be if you owned a sports shop that sold coats and
>>bicycles, coat and bicycle are not the same type but if you get them to
>>use
>>the 'stock control item' interface they are both 'stock control item'
>>objects if you need them to be, providing you follow the rules for that
>>particular interface you can make any object a 'stock control item' but
>>there is no generic 'stock control item' type.
>>
>>see it is different. you have to see things 'arse-ways-backwards'
>>sometimes
>>- at first I did not understand the point of interfaces, since the
objects
>>implementing them have to implement the actual working methods anyway
but
>>OOP is about creating a long-term collection of reusable objects which
may
>>be used by teams of coders, structures like interfaces make for a clean
>>and
>>clear architecture that other coders can quikly understand, and give a
>>well
>>defined way to extend a system.
>>
>>James
>>

>>At 12:23 25/08/2006, you wrote:
>> >going a bit offtopic here, but isnt polymorphism a non-issue in both
>>flash
>> >and java? People talk about like there can be such a thing in these
>> >languages,
>> >which isn't really true. It seems a bit silly to call something
>>polymorphism
>> >just because its implementing some interfaces.
>> >
>> >oh well, that probably didn't make any sense i suppose,
>> >im not getting any decent sleep lately :)

Java &

>>frameworks

>>names.

Of