> I think that the mixture of prototype based and class based OOP is really
> interesting. I think prototype based object orientated languages (such as
> AS1.0 and JavaScript) are really pretty cool and you can do amazing things
> with them.
>
> I read somewhere (sorry can't find link but it was on sitepoint.com written
> by Harry Fuecks)  that one of the leading technical directors at google had
> produced a patterns book with most of the important patterns completely
> rewritten for prototype OO languages and many of them were far simpler and
> much less code.
>
> of course there is always the trade off with any dynamic language - the
> less errors can be caught at 'compile time' the more you have to test the
> code using 'unit testing' at run time.

Well, haXe (http://haxe.org) has both class-based and "structural"
objects. You can describe types such as :

typedef Point = {
   var x : Int;
   var y : Int;
}

Then every object or class instance having "x" and "y" Int public fields
will be *automatically* of the type Point. Everything is strictly typed
thanks to type inference, and yet offer expressive power comparable to
dynamicly typed languages.

Nicolas