Aha! That gives me an idea... I might try using doLater(), a method available to components and see if that works.

Thanks for the tip.

David Baldeschwieler wrote:
Hi Haikal,

I've just been doing exactly the same thing for the past day - beating my head against the wall for this same reason. I am not working with any components, but trying to use setSelection within a class to select text in a text field nested within a movieClip - and getting the same non-result. Infuriating.

So, what I finally came up with that is a lame hack but seems to work is using a setInterval to call setSelection a tenth of a second later. So basically it's this:

class myClass
{

    ... (var declarations, constructor, etc.) ...

    private function onMouseUp ():Void
    {
        clearInterval(selectionRunner);

        selectionRunner = setInterval(this, "selectString", 10);
    }

    private function selectString ()
    {
        clearInterval(selectionRunner);

        Selection.setFocus(myField_txt);

        Selection.setSelection(0, myField_txt.text.length);
    }

    ...  (mode methods, etc.) ...

}

If anyone else has a better solution (or even better, an explanation why this problem occurs in the first place) I'd love to hear it.

Cheers,
-DB

Hi all.

I've been beating my head against the wall for a bit, trying to get Selection.setSelection() to work inside a component.

I've got this code, inside a component which happens to contain a TextInput:

private function focusIn(){
       trace(answer_ti.text + "] received focus");
       answer_ti.setFocus();
       Selection.setSelection(0, answer_ti.text.length);
   }

Which gets runs when answer_ti fires a focusIn event. This just doesn't seem to work... the trace statement comes up, but I can't see the selection change.

Is there anything I've overlooked? I tried to use Delegate for event handling, but it didn't make a difference.

Thanks.

--
Haikal Saadh
Applications Programmer