Just checking in on this ... I've now asked these questions on FlexCoders,
FlashCoders, and the Flash 9 Alpha Preview website forum.
Does anyone have any suggestions about where I could ask/look next? Perhaps I'm
just jumping the gun here? Is there any official
channel for feedback? The ones listed on labs.adobe.com are FlashCoders mailing
list and the forum.

I have more observations on the Flash 9 Alpha.

There doesn't seem to be a way to get Bitmaps and Sounds from library? I've
tried giving them linkage class names but attempting to
instantiate them gives me grief.

For instanced movieclips that's on the stage at design time, if you want to be
able to refer to them as first class objects, you
firstly have to make the class dynamic, and secondly manually assign those
objects before it works:

public dynamic ThingClass extends Sprite {
        private var thing : MovieClip;
        public function ThingClass () {
                thing = MovieClip( getChildByName( "thing" ) );
                thing.x = 200;

The way it used to be:

public ThingClass extends Sprite {
        private var thing : MovieClip;
        public function ThingClass () {
                thing.x = 200;

Here's the rest of my previous post:

After searching through my local copy of months' worth of flex coders list
digests, I was unable to find anything conclusive on the
questions below. I checked there because it's the one community with AS3
experience. I've posted these questions to both the
FlexCoders mailing list and the Flash 9 Alpha Preview forums. This is a set of
Flash 9 Alpha Preview questions. I'd REALLY
appreciate any input from those in the know, especially the Adobe guys :-).

I have an 18 000 line AS2 project, spanning about 6 logical SWF files (one of
these is actually a skin slot, of which there are
currently 21 unique skin SWFs). About 1/3 of the codebase is on a to-spec
in-house UI component library, another 1/3 on pure
services and business logic stuff, and the final 1/3 on gaming UI. In building
this over the last year, I have relied heavily on a
couple things:

- Using (fla_file)_exclude.xml files.
   To control where compiled classes are stored as so to control
   file sizes to optimise for preloading and caching. I check where
   classes are compiled by using Debug > List Variables in the test player.

- One class for many different library items.
   Eg. single-action buttons which have a common class and a delegate
   event handler. Used alot in media files for various actions.

I now have the mammoth task of converting all of this to AS3. I am currently
using Flex Builder to edit code and read the reference
docs and Flash 9 Alpha to compile the SWFs. I am using Flash 9 because of the
layout-heavy nature of the project. I assume it's ok
to use Flash 9 Alpha for beta-level production code as the AS3 compiler is
already in production (in Flex Builder 2). The majority
of changes in Flash 9, again I assume, will be in how it allows you to do the
sort of thing I currently need help with.

My questions:

Is it possible to control where classes are compiled to?
How do I see what classes are compiled into a SWF? Debug > Variables no longer
works, and no SWF decompiler vendors have quite made
it to AS3 :) If I had my choice, I'd like to list which classes I DO want in
the SWF, not the ones I DO NOT want. Easier to cut and
paste from one list to the other.

It seems that if a class is not specified for an exported library item, one is
generated. Is it not perhaps a good idea to be able
to specify the super class for this generated class along with the new class's
name, saving me from having to write boiler-plate
copies of the class in question? I have various places where I use the same
class (one is used well over 80 times across all the
files). I'd really love to avoid 80 classes looking like:

package com.example.view {
  import com.example.view.BasicButton;
  public class OkButton extends BasicButton {} }

The UI library 1/3 of my codebase obviously has alot of windows-forms-menus-etc
style stuff. I'd like to reduce the maintenance of
this by rebuilding it using the Flex Framework. Is it possible to load Flex
SWFs into vanilla AS3 SWFs and have them interoperate
happily? It's purely the UI stuff I'll be using.

Hope this isn't too much to ask in one go :)

Thanks,
Robert